Newborn Advice

The Truth About Breastfeeding

One of the main reasons I created this blog was to share my honest, real experiences as a new mom. But mostly, I wanted to share all of the things I’ve learned so far that nobody really explicitly told me before having a baby. The goal here is not to pump out the generic: “oh my life is so hectic” just to have other women be like “how does she do it all?” The goal is to be real. So here we go.

The funny thing about motherhood is that while every single person on the face of the Earth, whether complete stranger or close family member, wants to give you advice, nobody ever really tells you anything that’s helpful.

People be like: “it goes by so fast” – “enjoy them while they’re at this stage” – “sleep when the baby sleeps” – and you’re like, “Um…thanks? Do I know you?”

What I really wish someone would have told me? Marla, when you first start to breastfeed, it will feel like Wolverine’s retractable claws are being forcibly extracted from your nipples. And so here I am, relaying that message to all new moms everywhere. Ladies, when a well-meaning friend tells you that “breastfeeding hurts at first,” just slap her across the face, grab her shoulders and say, “what is wrong with you?” Because not only would they be providing you with the grossest understatement, they are also setting you up for THE MOST unhappy surprise.

The Truth About Breastfeeding - An EXTREMELY HONEST take on breastfeeding a newborn. I am SO glad I read this. This is a must-read for all expecting moms and new moms.

Not even kidding, Eric and I sat through a 2 HOUR LONG class on breastfeeding, with first time moms and veterans, and not one single person said, “oh BTW, breastfeeding is EXTREMELY PAINFUL.”  Am I missing something here? Am I just extremely wimpy and everyone else has nipples made of steel? I can’t be the only one who feels this way. Right?

It wasn’t until a few days into this excruciating world that I met with a lactation consultant who described it as “trucks being pulled from your breast.” Thank you! Where were her accurate words when I needed them? Preach.

So this is the thing. Breastfeeding is not for the weak of spirit. Those first few postpartum days are ROUGH, as any new mom can attest to. When you’re breastfeeding during that time, it helps your uterus sink back down into its original spot, cause, yknow, science. And I would say that pretty much felt like the worst period pain you have ever experienced. Yeah, you’re remembering that time at your 9th grade field trip? Now remember it worse, and this time there’s a creature that needs you for like, survival, NBD.

But you know what? After a few weeks, you really start to get the hang out of it. It’s like, oh, the baby was nursing? I almost forgot. Wait, this is relaxing. Couch is so comfy. I’m gonna close my eyes now…And hey, 14 months later, I am still nursing and plan to let Harper self-wean. So although you may want to call it quits, just know it gets better.

My point here is not to scare anyone or to steer anyone in the other direction. Just the opposite actually. My point is tell it like it is. When you’re pregnant, some people will try to sugarcoat everything for you because you’re just this delicate flower (with gas?). But sometimes, you just need the truth. This would be that time. In summation, unless you have nipples of steel, breastfeeding hurts*.

*please see Wolverine analogy above.

To find out how to get your ever-so-sleepy newborn baby to nurse, click here. For more breastfeeding tips & tricks, click here.

What was your breastfeeding experience like as a first time mom? Did you have it as rough as me? Tell me I’m not alone!

Want to simplify Grocery Shopping once and for all?

Enter your email below to receive our Free Printable Grocery Shopping Planner! You\'ll also receive easy tips & tricks on how to simplify grocery shopping! What are you waiting for?

You have been successfully subscribed!

You Might Also Like

14 Comments

Onlygirl4boyz
    August 15, 2016 at 8:49 AM

This is great! Breastfeeding was definitely a struggle for me due to the pain as well initially but, thank God it gets better as you go!

Marla
      August 15, 2016 at 9:43 PM

It definitely gets better – that’s what I always try to tell people!

workingmommyabroad
    August 15, 2016 at 1:33 PM

Love this! And yes, my experience is similar to yours: it was so so painful! I was screaming a lot of times during those first weeks… They gave me a “nipple hat” because he didn´t take the boob easily in the beginning but when we took that off after some weeks he was obviously much bigger / could suck much stronger and my poor nipples weren´t used to anything yet… It definitely took some tears to keep it up!

Marla
      August 15, 2016 at 9:44 PM

Thank you! Oh wow, that does not sound fun! I am glad to hear I was not alone in dealing with all that pain!

mrsbsock
    August 15, 2016 at 3:46 PM

“when you first start to breastfeed, it will feel like Wolverine’s retractable claws are being forcibly extracted from your nipples.” HILARIOUS!

Marla
      August 15, 2016 at 9:45 PM

Haha, thank you! I only speak the truth.

Maintaining Me
    August 15, 2016 at 4:53 PM

Breastfeeding with my first was completely different than breastfeeding with my second.

Marla
      August 15, 2016 at 9:46 PM

I am definitely interested to see how things will be the second time around!

Krista Nile
    August 15, 2016 at 9:30 PM

Ahh yes!! It’s so painful! My sister once described it as shards of glass coming through your nipples! I’m so glad I met with a lactation consultant or I would’ve given up. 20 months later and we’re still going strong!

Marla
      August 15, 2016 at 9:48 PM

Yes! That is so accurate! That’s amazing. I hope to continue for that long as well!

tessakirby13
    August 16, 2016 at 8:07 AM

Preach momma! I could not agree more! I remember wondering why no one told me how painful it was too and being like well this is the worst thing ever!! Glad it doesn’t last forever but holy smokes it’s no joke!

Marla
      August 16, 2016 at 8:39 PM

Haha, right?! They should definitely hand out pamphlets to all pregnant women!

sayhellonature
    August 17, 2016 at 10:21 AM

Oh my goodness, yes! We went to a class on breastfeeding and she had us all talk about what our biggest fear was with breastfeeding. I said that I wouldn’t be able to or that it would hurt too much for it to work. Her response was not to worry about it – nearly everyone can because it’s so easy. That is the biggest lie I was told prior to giving birth because these past three weeks have been a struggle that is just now getting a little bit better. I wish someone would have told me all of this beforehand so my expectations were a bit more accurate!

Marla
      August 17, 2016 at 8:35 PM

It is truly amazing to hear so many women share the same story! I am so glad to hear that things are getting better for you. And congrats on your new little one!!

Share your thoughts!